There are many different ways to Quilt As You Go (QAYG) but the basic principle is that you are working with smaller manageable pieces.
In this course, you will learn how to create your own QAYG blocks, secure your motif template using applique technique, add sashing to join the blocks all while creating an interesting dimension to your project.
The example image is for inspiration only and demonstrates the use of different colours and prints in order to make the techniques learned more effective. You will need to bring along your own choice of 100% cotton fabrics, threads and equipment listed below, each of us are unique and have our own tastes when it comes to colour, style and design.
This is a fun and creative quilting course that delivers a great sense of satisfaction, all the while learning new techniques and immersing ourselves into a creative space that can really help to shift your focus from the “every day” busy-ness of life to being completely in the moment.
I have a few motif templates of a Robin, Ostrich, Heron, Chicken, Duck, Swan, Dog, Cat, Fish or Cow silhouettes, which are available to use during the session time. However, you may wish to bring your own motif template to add your own personal design. Please ensure your motif template is no bigger than 4 Inches x 4 Inches.
You will create a sample quilt of 40 x 40” as per the example pictured.
Your quilt will be made up of approximately 16 blocks measuring finished 10” x 10”.
Each block will be made up of 5 or 6 strips of fabric depending on the width of strips cut, design, colour and print of choice.
Materials required for this course:
For all quilting courses, students are to provide their own sewing materials and resources. Please see this link for the suggested items in no special order.
It’s always best to learn on your own sewing machine. Please bring your sewing machine including the sewing machine manual, pedal and power cord.
Should you not have a sewing machine, then we do have machines available for your use.
- 6 – 8 different cotton fat quarters for the block work (Please ensure that you wash and starch your fabric before your 1st session).
- 1 meter of 300cm wide 80/20 Quilting Wadding. Please no polyester or thick wadding.
- 1 meter of cotton backing fabric for the back of your quilt at least 112cm or 115cm wide.
- 1 meter of cotton border fabric for the edge of your quilt at least 112cm wide.
- 1 meter sashing fabric at least 112cm wide.
- Cotton thread to match your fabric – for stitching together your blocks and then for your applique stitching.
- Variegated thread.
- Half meter of Bondaweb or Heat & Bond Lite.
- Half a meter of baking parchment.
- 505 Temporary Adhesive Glue (Amazon)
- Dylon Spray Starch (obtainable from any supermarket).
Sewing Machine Accessories & other Essential Items required:
- Even feed walking foot for your sewing machine.
- 1/4 inch presser foot for your sewing machine.
- Embroidery foot (also known as a darning foot).
- Rotary Cutter (with sharp blade).
- Fabric scissors, Paper scissors.
- Cutting mat / board.
- Cutting / Quilting Rulers.
- Sharp pins or clips and extra sewing needles.
- Sharp snipping scissors for cutting out the motifs.
- Spray Starch (purchase from your local supermarket).
- 505 adhesive spray from Amazon (please note that this should not cost more than £10.00/can).
This course will run over four weeks, made up of four, 3 hour sessions.
We will break about half way through each session for refreshments, as sewing is thirsty work for mind and body therefore it’s only natural that there will be plenty of tea, coffee and cake to keep us going!
Level: 2-3. This is an intermediate level class, and not suitable for complete beginners. You will need to have some knowledge of sewing and how to use the sewing machine. If you have sewn years ago and want to freshen up this is a great way to do just that.
Class Length: Four, 3 hour sessions
Max in a class: 5
I also carry a stock of fabrics and haberdashery should you wish to purchase on the day (card payment facility available). or you can also browse and buy fabrics at our online fabric shop.